Umzinto WWTW Refurbishment
Project Start Date: March 2011
Project End Date: March 2012
ZIYANDA Consulting cc was appointed by the Ugu District Municipality to provide professional services for the refurbishment and/or upgrade of the existing Umzinto Wastewater Treatment Works (WWTW). The scope of work included:
- Construction of a reinforced concrete inlet works with mechanical fine screening and a hygienic tankers’ discharge point to replace the existing dilapidated inlet works.
- Refurbishment and re-commissioning of the existing primary settling tank and settled wastewater pumpstation.
- Installation of mechanically adjustable weir and dissolved oxygen measuring equipment in existing bioreactor
- Construction of sludge beds
- Installation of desludging control valves (telescopic valves) at the final clarifiers to assist in operation during different flow conditions
- Construction of new chlorine room which complies with current safety regulations and install new, well calibrated chlorine dosing equipment