Project Start Date: January 2010
Project End Date: December 2011
This project involved the upgrade of an existing 0.6Ml/day oxidation pond’ system treatment works into a 2.5Ml/day biological nutrient removal treatment works. ZIYANDA Consulting was appointed as a sub consultant to Emzansi Consulting and provided all civil engineering consulting input for the upgrade. This included the following:
- Assessments of existing sewage treatment infrastructure (condition and capacity) treating 0.6Ml/day;
- Design and implementation of upgrade works to augment treatment capacity.
The resulting project was the implementation of the following (complete with associated mechanical and electrical equipment):
- 2,500 m3 reinforced concrete bioreactor,
- 2 No. 15m clarifiers,
- Construction of various internal pumpstation and control rooms,
- Construction of staff facilities,
- Ancillary works
The project has been completed successfully and commissioned.
Beneficiaries: The estimated present day population of the Umzimkhulu Area is 12780 people. The project population for a design horizon of 20 years is 24934 people assuming 2,5% growth per annum.